Nearly three-quarters of adults in the UK will support FIFA by using World Cup proceeds to compensate migrant workers who have suffered during preparations for the tournament in Qatar, according to a new survey by Amnesty International.
The YouGov survey also found that 70% wanted the FA to talk about human rights issues associated with the event.
Earlier this year, the campaign group urged FIFA to establish Compensation fund of at least 350 million pounds sterling For workers who have suffered “human rights abuses”.
The proposed amount is equal to the 2022 World Cup prize money fund.
Amnesty International says FIFA is expected to generate an estimated £5 billion from the tournament.
It is estimated that Up to 30,000 migrant workers It has been used in projects to build seven stadiums for the finals in Qatar, as well as a new airport, new metro and new roads.
But Amnesty says that since 2010, Hundreds of thousands of migrant workers They faced human rights abuses while employed to build the broader infrastructure necessary to host the tournament, as well as the stadiums.
More than 17,000 adults have been surveyed in 15 countries with support for nearly 73% of World Cup proceeds being used to compensate workers. The figure was 74% of the 2,183 surveyed in the UK.
“With less than 50 days to go until kick-off, the clock is ticking,” said Steve Cockburn, Head of Economic and Social Justice at Amnesty International.
“These results send a clear message to the leadership of football.
“Across the world, people are united in their desire to see FIFA advance and to make up for the suffering that migrant workers are experiencing in Qatar. They also want to see their National Societies take a more assertive stance.”
“The past cannot be undone, but the compensation program is a clear and simple way that FIFA and Qatar can provide at least some measure of fairness to the hundreds of thousands of workers who made this tournament possible.”
In a statement, FIFA told BBC Sport: “Participants may not be fully aware of the measures that FIFA and its partners have implemented in Qatar in recent years to protect workers. These developments were largely a result of the World Cup being held in the country.
“This also includes putting pressure on companies when needed to ensure that workers involved in World Cup preparations are treated. Workers have been compensated in various ways as companies fail to adhere to standards.
“FIFA will continue its efforts to enable compensation for workers who may have been adversely affected in connection with work related to the World Cup in accordance with the Human Rights Policy.”
The Football Association declined to comment. In June, she was part of a UEFA working group that visited Qatar and discussed the demands of several groups including Amnesty International for additional compensation with the organisers. In a statement issued at the time, she said she supported the concept of the status of migrant workers, and “accepted the principle that any injury or death in any workplace in any country should be compensated.”
It is understood that the working group wrote to FIFA this week requesting an update on the issue of compensation.
England striker Harry Kane said he wanted to “highlight” human rights issues in Qatar and that he had spoken with fellow international team leaders about whether they could offer some form of collective protest.
Players from Norway, the Netherlands and Germany have previously protested against alleged human rights abuses in Qatar.
The 2022 World Cup begins on November 20.